This is a 6-week guided yoga experience designed to honor the needs of each individual student exactly where they are in treatment and recovery. In a safe and comfortable environment, students will explore movement, guided relaxation, breathing and meditation practices as tools to access the innate wisdom of our own bodies and make empowered choices in healing. Developed by a nurse and backed by evidence-based research, the intention of this offering is to teach self-regulating techniques that can relieve the distressing side effects of cancer physically, mentally, emotionally and energetically while offering joy in daily living.
The movements in this class are intended to be modified to suit all levels of physical ability, including patients recovering from surgery. No yoga experience is required.
This class is free and currently only open to Columbia St. Mary's Cancer Center patients at any stage of treatment and survivorship. Clearance from your Cancer Center physician is required. Registration is required. Limited to 10 participants per session. To register, call 414.378.3070.
All first time participants are asked to complete an intake form and contact the instructor prior to the first class. Yoga mats and props are provided.
Participants of the class can expect the following:
- Confidentiality in communicating medical and all pertinent information essential for the instructor to know
- Welcoming environment that encourages community building
- Body awareness and breathing practices
- Slow, gentle movements to improve blood flow, range of motion, and flexibility in joints and muscles
- Explanation of physiological benefits of the breathing, movement and meditation
- Guided imagery and conscious use of the mind and the imagination
- Guided relaxation practices
- Meditation practices
- Reducing muscle tension and habituated tension patterns
- Promoting self healing and functional improvements
- Decreasing anxiety and depression
- Improving overall health and feelings of well being
- Reducing neuropathy and lymphedema
- Improving sleep
- Reducing sense of isolation